Festive cranberry-aquavit cocktail that's perfect for the holidays. Terrific served as a punch!
- MIXER (best made the day ahead, to allow the flavors to meld)
- 1 Gallon Cranberry Juice
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 Tbl cranberry concentrate (jugged cranberry juice can be too watery, this helps to boost the flavor)
- 1 tsp orange bitters
- 6 ea whole cloves
- Shake or stir and allow to set overnight. The next day, strain to remove the pulp and zest before serving.
- GARNISH - SPICE SUGAR
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Tbl Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Clove
- 1 Tbl Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- GARNISH - PICKLED CRANBERRIES
- 1 Bag of Fresh or Frozen Whole Cranberries
- 2 C Cider Vinegar
- 2 C Granulated Sugar
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tsp Whole Allspice Berries
- 1/2 tsp Whole Cloves
- 1 tsp Whole Cardamom Seeds (use the small black seeds, not the whole pods)
- Boil the cider, sugar and spices together for 5 minutes. Add the cranberries and cook for 3 minutes or until the skins just start to split - do not overcook! Remove from heat and allow to cool in the brine. Seal the cranberries in a jar with the brine and keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
For individual cocktails, rim the glass with spice sugar and garnish with pickled cranberries and orange wedges
For punch, skip the spice sugar and float the cranberries and orange slices in the punch bowl.